Sunday, 26 April 2009

Three Ridges Walk Sunday 26th April 2009

About 43 ramblers opted to try this walk. From the starting point we headed towards a rural chapel, Sant’Anna tal-Pwales,and climbed gently up the Bajda Ridge till we passed by the remains of a neolithic temple and headed towards the prehistoric tombs.

After a short rest, we proceeded towards the Mellieha Ridge by crossing il-Wied tal-Mistra, until we reached the ridge after passing under a vaulted arch near ta’ Pennellu area. We traveled all along the ridge till we reached Popeye Village, where we had a rather longish rest. From here we continued on our way along a Roman path, till we reached ic-Cumnija. Here, some ramblers opted to return by bus from Ghadira, whilst about 30 ramblers decided to continue all the walk as planned.

After going up the last ridge, the Marfa Ridge, we passed near it-Torri l-Ahmar (aka St.Agatha’s Tower) and via a secondary road, we headed towards Cirkewwa. Before completing this non-circular walk, we visited a karstic depression at tal-Latnija.

Walk Leader: Simon

Duration: 4 hrs 15 min including breaks (0815-1230)

Distance: 12.5 km ( non-circular )

Climbing Bajda Ridge

il- Kappella ta’ Sant’Anna tal-Pwales

Vernacular architecture

Heading towards Mellieha Ridge

The vaulted arch

A short rest – ta’ Pennellu

il-Migbha – Mellieha Ridge

Walking on the ridge

Beautiful garigue

il-Prajjiet (aka Anchor Bay and Popeye Village)

Three Ridges Walk Sunday 26th April 2009-More photos

More photos, courtesy of Marcel Pisani

St. Anne Chapel - Pwales

Walking on the Ridge ( 1 )

Walking on the Ridge ( 2 )

Following an ancient footpath

Climbing the Marfa Ridge

Ir-Rdum tal-Qammieh

Ic-Cumnija and environs

Modern architecture!


A karstic depression - Il-Latnija

Friday, 24 April 2009

24 April 2009 Selmun Walk

From Selmun we followed the country lane down to Mistra Bay and from there towards the coast overlooking St Paul’s islands. We then walked to Mgiebah Bay over the clay slopes and cliffs that offer spectacular views. The coastline was then followed to to Mellieha via the Santa Marija Estate, and then back to Selmun.

Some photos from today's walk, courtesy of Mary Attard

Sunday, 5 April 2009

The Four Santa Marias of the North - 5th April, 2009

The Four Santa Marias of the North – 5th April, 2009

Today’s walk was undoubtedly the longest circular walk organized by RAM. About 20 ramblers opted to start the walk early at Attard, whilst an additional 15 ramblers opted to join the walk at Mosta. Most ramblers stopped walking at Dingli, but 8 experienced ramblers (including a female rambler, Mariella) decided to complete the full circular walk.

Avoiding asphalted roads as much as possible, we crossed and walked through a number of valleys (Wied is-Sir, Wied il-Ghasel, Wied tal-Isperanza, Wied il-Qlejgha, Wied Rini ) and passed by a number of wayside chapels…in particular il-Kappella ta’ San Pawl (H’Attard) where Mr.Reno Saliba offered to open this chapel for us, and gave a very detailed explanation about this recently restored chapel.

Walk Leader: Simon
Duration: 9 ½ hours including breaks (0730-1700)
Distance: 37 km

Walk Info: Attard – Mosta: 7km (2 hours)
Mosta – Mgarr: 10 km (3 hours)
Mgarr – Dingli: 12km (2 hours 45 minutes)
Dingli – Attard: 8km (1 hour 45minutes)

Some photos below, courtesy of Marcel Pisani

Altarpiece - St.Paul’s Chapel – H’Attard

Heading towards il-Kuncizzjoni

Outskirts of Mgarr

Mosta Dome & Naxxar Parish Church in the background

Ic-Cimiterju tal-Abbati – Hal Mann